Implementation of any Law depends upon the procedural laws.
Therefore implementation of environmental laws cannot be done without going
through the various rules and regulations formulated. In pursuance of
various substantive environmental legislations, the Central and each state
government have formulated rules for the following procedural laws in the
- Rules framed under the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act,
Rules framed under the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Cess Act,
Rules framed under the environmental protection Act of 1986.
Rules framed under National Environment Appellate Authority Act, 1997.
Rules Framed under Public Liability Insurance Act, 1991
Rules Framed under Wild Life Act, 1972
Besides the aforesaid existing procedural Rules framed under the parent Act,
there are various quasi-laws.
- Emission Standards as per Air Act, 1981
- Emission Standards for Automobiles for Prevention and Control of
- ISI specifications for standard Tolerance Limits for Industrial and
Sewage effluents followed by West Bengal Pollution Control Board.
- Standards for Emissions of Air Pollution into the Atmosphere from
- Guidelines for diversion of forestlands for non-forest purposes under
forest Act, 1980.
- Guidelines for Environmental Impact Assessment
- Guidelines for Environmental Appraisal of Industrial Projects.
- Guidelines for Integrating Environmental concerns with exploitation of
- Environmental Guidelines for Formulation of River Valley projects.
- Environmental Guidelines for Development of Beaches
- Environmental Guidelines for Thermal Power Plants
- Guidelines for Environmental Impact Assessment of Shipping and Harbour
- Prevention of Hazards from Industrial Units: government of India's
- Environmental Clearance of Industrial License Conditions of letter of
Intent/ Industrial License.
- Safety and Health Accident Reduction Plan
- Guidelines for Dereservation of Reserved Forests or Diversion of
Forest land to any Non-forest use.
- Guidelines for Massive tree plantation for abatement of Air Pollution
caused by Industries.
- Environmental Guidelines for Siting of Industries.
- Incentives to Industries for Prevention and control of Pollution and
Conservation of Resources.